Lambertville – Then and Now
- Address: 42 N. Union St.
- Historic Name: The Hooker Building
- Today: A Mano Galleries at the Five and Dime
The Hooker building was located on the southeast corner of N. Union and Coryell Streets and was originally a four or five story building with a tower, as can be seen in the accompanying photo.
The Lambertville Savings Bank was located on the first floor in 1875 (when the bank was organized) and the Lambertville Record newspaper offices were also located on the second floor in the 1870s.
On December 27, 1903 a fire destroyed the tower and top floor of the building. They were never replaced. The abandoned building slowly deteriorated, and the upper floors were all removed, leaving only the one-story building that we know today. The cause of the fire was never determined.
A Ben Franklin “5 &10” store occupied the remaining one-story building in the 1950s
(and possibly earlier) through at least 1980.
In the 1980s, the building became a “Collectible Emporium” named the “5 and Dime”. The sign from that business remains.
Today, A Mano Galleries, a contemporary craft gallery, operates in this space.