Lambertville – Then and Now
- Address: 18 York St.
- Historic Name: A. H. Holcombe House
- Today: Lambertville City Hall
Alexander Henry Holcombe built this gracious home in the popular French Second Empire Style in 1870 as a wedding gift for his wife, Malverna K. Merta. A direct descendent of the original Holcombes, who held title to land in the north portion of Lambertville and adjoining plantations, Alexander was a wealthy lawyer and was active in local affairs.
In the 1920’s the home passed from the family and became a social club. This house has been Lambertville’s City Hall since 1950. It housed the local library for a time, and until 2001 it housed the police department in the basement. The original double entrance-door and porch are gone but might be the focus of a future project.
This proud building has undergone a total restoration of its exterior with the addition of necessary service facilities in order to continue to function as Lambertville’s City Hall.