Lambertville – Then and Now
- Address: 25 S. Union Street
- Historic Name: Perseverance Paper Mill
- Today: Philip L. Pittore Justice Center
Perseverance Paper Mill / Lambertville Paper Manufacturing Company was built by William McCready in the spring of 1868 according to Snell’s “1881 History of Hunterdon County” as well as an article in the September 11, 1868 edition of the Beacon.
Snell’s History says that McCready named it Perseverance Mill because several enterprises that he had owned in the past had burned down, and he was determined to continue in business.
The Paper Company complex occupied the back (western) half of the lot and was situated alongside the canal.
This photo shows a fire at the mill c. 1905. We are happy to report that it remained intact during McCready’s tenure as records show it was sold in 1889. As a matter of fact, this fire occurred 10 years after McCready’s death.
The mill was rebuilt, as historic maps show the mill in 1912. There is some reference to another fire in 1922 or 1923 which we are still researching.
The ACME Supermarket operated here in a new store from 1951 to 1997.
The city purchased the building in 1998 and renovated and repurposed it as the City Justice Center.
In July 2013, it was renamed the Phillip L. Pittore Justice Center in honor of a man who served 18 years on what was then the City Commission, including his last 10 years as mayor.
Today the building hosts Lambertville City Council and other board/commission meetings and the ACME Screening Room movies on weekends.
The City saved some of the original commercial signage which was installed in the lobby and on the north face of the tower.