Lambertville – Then and Now
- Address: 19 Bridge Street
- Historic Name: Masonic Hall
- Today: Masonic Hall and various businesses
The first lodge of Free and Accepted Masons in this vicinity was established in New Hope, PA.
In June of 1847 several members of the lodge petitioned the “Most Worthy Grand Lodge of the Ancient and Honorable Fraternity of Free and Accepted Masons” of the State of New Jersey for permission to open a Masonic lodge in Lambertville, NJ.
Permission was granted June 13, 1847 and “Amwell Lodge, No. 13” was instituted June 16, 1847, according to Snell’s 1881 History of Hunterdon County.
In 1877 the Masons built the hall at 21 Bridge St. in Lambertville. It was constructed by builder James Bird from plans created by noted architect Samuel Sloan of Philadelphia.
At lower left is the cornerstone with the date Anno Lucis 5877, the Masonic calendar equivalent to 1877.
Lambertville’s first public library, The Stryker Free Library, was located in the building, the precursor to today’s Lambertville Free Public Library.
It currently houses a variety of businesses including Vecere Jewelers, Bridge Street Antiques, Full Moon Restaurant, Michael Burns Architects and Mongelli Law Group.
The meeting rooms of Amwell lodge #12 of Free and Accepted Masons are still in use on the third floor.